- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed and diced
- 2L salt reduced vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 100g Jerusalem artichoke, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cabbage, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Increase heat to high, add chicken and garlic, stir frequently and cook until slightly browned but not completely cooked through.
Add all other ingredients. Cover saucepan with lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until vegetables and pearl barley are cooked through. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Download the Chicken, Vegetable and Barley Soup recipe.