This recipe was showcased at the cooking demonstration on Saturday 13 July.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, deseeded and diced into 1cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons smoky paprika
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons no added salt tomato paste
- 400g tin kidney beans (no added salt), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice or basmati rice
- 1 bunch coriander, washed & roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and capsicum and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until slightly softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring for another minute. Remove capsicum mixture from saucepan to a bowl. Increase heat to high and fry beef mince in the same pan until lightly browned, stirring well to break up the mince.
Add capsicum mixture back in to the saucepan along with chilli powder, paprika, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste and kidney beans. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine coriander, avocado, cherry tomatoes and lime juice.
To serve, arrange the rice and beef mixture in bowls and top with coriander mixture.
Click the following link to download this recipe: Chilli Con Carne with Coriander Salsa