Recipe: Eleni’s Apple Cake
- 300g butter (softened)
- 300g caster sugar
- 375g almond mealr
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- Lots of apples pealed (you can also use peaches or nectarines)
- Peel, halve & deseed the apples, poach in a sugar syrup until just tender (you can also place them in the microwave in a buttered dish for 5 minutes on high).
- Strain the liquid off before placing the apples into the base of a buttered 26cm cake tin.
- Now whisk the room temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the almond meal, then the lemon juice & zest.
- Stir in the egg yolks one at a time until well combined.
- Whisk the egg white until they achieve a soft peak then fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour this mixture over the poached apples in your cake tin.
- Bake at 175⁰C for 45 minutes.
- Turn our and serve with Jersey Fresh Thick Cream.