Mushroom, Baby Spinach & Chickpea Curry
Recipe courtesy of Pick A Local, Pick SA
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium-sized portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- Thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked, stems sliced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 400g can crushed tomatoes or one punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 270g can low-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, cooked to serve
- Lime wedges to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a large high-sided frying pan over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook (in batches if necessary) stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden. Add spring onions, capsicum, garlic, ginger and coriander stems (reserve leaves for serving) and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Stir in Garam Masala and curry powder, then crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the tomato mixture has thickened and darkened slightly. Stir in chickpeas, coconut milk and baby spinach. Cook until spinach wilts.
3. Divide rice between serving bowls, top with curry, and coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.