Classic Christmas Ham
- 1 x 8-10 kg Australian ham leg
- Cloves, to stud
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 3/4 cup marmalade
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste*
- 30 ml brandy
- Preheat the oven to 170°C & lower rack to bottom shelf.
- Cut around the hock & with the tip of a small knife, around the leg to loosen skin. Carefully peel skin back with the knife & your hands, ensuring the fat is kept intact.
- Score a crisscross pattern in the fat. Stud with cloves.
- Place the ham on a rack in a large baking tray that fits in your oven.
- In a small saucepan add the glaze ingredients & bring to the boil, whisking to combine well. Cook for 5 min or until thick. Add a little water or juice if it needs.
- Using a pastry brush, dab 1/3 of the glaze over the ham. Add 1 cup of water to the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 1-1 ½ hrs, basting every 20 min until a thick & glazed crust forms.
- Rest for at least 30 min before carving.