Recipe: Korean BBQ Chicken Rice
- 100ml peanut oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 barbecue chicken, meat shredded
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 bunch spring onions, white and pale green parts chopped
- 1/4 savoy cabbage, outer leaves discarded, finely shredded
- 6 SA button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 11/3 cups (120g) long-grain rice, cooked
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 1 tbs black sesame seeds
Korean BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60g) brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tsp chilli paste or sauce
- 3 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- For the barbecue sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season with pepper. Heat 1 tbs oil in a wok or large fry pan over high heat. Add the egg and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until softly scrambled. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another 2 tbs oil to the pan with the chicken and half the barbecue sauce. Stir-fry for 5-6 minutes until caramelised. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbs oil to pan with chilli, spring onion, cabbage, mushroom and garlic. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the rice and remaining barbecue sauce, and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes to warm through.
- Increase heat to high and cook for a further 6 minutes or until rice begins to crisp around the edges. Remove from heat and stir through reserved chicken, egg and half the coriander.
- Divide rice among bowls. Serve topped with sesame, extra chilli and remaining coriander.