Staying Motivated For Winter Exercise
As the cooler days begin to settle in, the reality of the winter season becomes hard to ignore. If you love the cold weather and prefer working out in the cold rather than the heat, then this article might not be for you. But if you’re anything like us and find that during winter, all that motivation you have over summer and spring seems to be replaced by the overwhelming desire to cuddle up in your onesie next to the warm fire with a big cup of hot chocolate (or red wine), then we highly recommend that you read on…
Here are our top tips for staying motivated over the winter months ahead!
1. Set yourself goals and make a plan
It can be far too easy to settle in on the couch after a day of work, and even more so when you don’t have a plan or goals that you’re working towards.
These plans or goals don’t have to be groundbreaking or take hours to implement each day, it’s just important that you write them down and keep yourself accountable to achieving them! They can be as simple as a 20 minute walk every evening from Monday – Friday, or a five-minute core workout plus a walk around the block. The main thing is that you write yourself a plan for the week plan for that 20 minutes of exercise every morning or evening.
2. Find yourself a workout buddy
If you’re not one to stick to your plans and struggle to motivate yourself, find a friend that you know will help to keep you accountable. Calling on a workout buddy who has similar goals and is at a similar fitness level to you is a great way to stay motivated through winter.
Having a workout buddy helps to reduce the chance of you skipping a workout when you’re feeling tired after a long day at work or it seems too cold outside. Sometimes all you need is that little push from a friend to keep you on the straight and narrow. Plus, the biggest benefit is that it is much more fun to work out with a friend!
3. Update your winter wardrobe
Yes, we are encouraging you to hit the shops and update your winter activewear collection.
No matter how cold it is outside, you’re always going to warm up when you exercise and get your blood pumping. You don’t want to overheat and you certainly don’t want to freeze, so dressing appropriately for a winter workout is very important… that’s why it’s all about layers!
Layer up to begin your workout, layer down as you heat up and layer back up as you cool down.
In store you’ll find a huge range of activewear that addresses all your winter needs. Opt in for a few lightweight pieces of clothing that you can easily tie around your waist or chuck in your backpack if you are on the run. You’ll be much more comfortable and look great too!
And if these tips don’t work for you, maybe give a few of these ideas a go to help keep you motivated:
- Mix it up by learning a new sport or a new skill– it beats doing the same home-workout every night!
- Update your playlist – some fresh tunes might just help you run those extra km’s
- Move your workout indoors and out of the cold
- Track your progress. It will help to keep you accountable and show you how far you have come
- Sign up for a charity or fitness competition. There are plenty of fitness apps with monthly challenges and exercise-based fundraisers. This month you can find the ‘Push-up challenge’ raising awareness for mental health
- Exercise during your lunch break if you’re able too. Get outdoors while the sun is out and get your blood pumping for the afternoon of work ahead.
And lastly, if you’re not a winter person, remember that summer and warmer weather is always just around the corner. So, start today and be happy with your daily progress. Summer will be here again before you know it!